Thursday, October 18, 2007

Reflections on criticizm

Several well-meaning readers who tend to concur with my frequent scoldings of the columnists, reporters, editorial policies and practices over at the Times-News, have suggested I pepper my criticisms with some occasional praise reflecting some of the newspaper’s benign attributes, or my efficacy as a captious critic, if any, may be somewhat eroded.

I appreciate their suggestions. It’s a sentiment I’ve confronted before. But it’s unlikely I’ll change my focus for these reasons.

The monolithic Times Publishing Co. commands a seven-day a week newspaper, hundreds of column inches daily, an all-encompassing if stunted 7/24 web site, a mediocre news and editorial staff (with a few exceptions) of two score or more, financial resources in the millions and a print monopoly over advertising, events and opinion-shaping within its market area. It blankets most or all of four counties in northwestern Pennsylvania, and projects an influential if warped voice that is heard in the state capital of Harrisburg and throughout the state.

What’s more, it systematically misuses and abuses the constitutionally-protected power of the press to serve its own ends and the agendas of special interests which are often incompatible with the broad public interest, giving them a voice denied those less privileged..

That said, my response to my well-intentioned friends is not only do I believe my constant carping in the direction of the Times-News is fully justified, but a dozen or more blogs equally committed to unmasking the foibles of the Times-News would be warranted to countermand its odious influence.

That doesn’t mean I won’t acknowledge any extraordinary journalistic achievements in the Times-News if and when they emerge, such as my encomium recently on Kevin Cuneo’s regular column, “Take Thirty,” my favorite column in all the world.

Unfortunately, gems like that are few and far between within the Times-News’s pages and cyberspace. As a result, the vast majority of my reflections upon its myriad misdeeds will continue unstinted.

No comments: